Off to the ER we go…..and home again

Last night, Mariella was coughing pretty steadily.  At about 8:00, she decided she needed rescue puffer, so she took care of that herself.  When the girls went to bed at 9pm, I was still pretty uncomfortable with her cough, so I gave her a breathing treatment.  Her cough really didn’t abate…and she quite literally, coughed for 2 straight hours.

Rob was supposed to go out after work, so I called him and asked him to come right home…because I had decided to bring her to the ER as soon as he got home.  Basically, he was going to be home at midnight.  He was able to get someone to do his show for him, and he came right home.  Mariella and I headed to the ER, and got there by 11:30.

Triage got us right into a curtain…even though her lungs sounded good, her cough and her color were her trump card, apparently.  The Resident came right in, listened to her lungs, looked her over, etc…and agreed with my assessment that it was an acute asthma flare that I was unable to get under control at home.   However, she DID sound a little croupy so he wanted the attending to make the call between prednisone and dechodron.  (As I’ve been thinking about it…she was really trying to hold her cough in, so it got a “barky” tone to it…when she just let herself cough, it’s her normal asthma cough)  The attending came and ruled out croup, so they wrote the script for a 5 day pred burst.

However, we were not quite good to go, because she kept having her O2 sats drop into the low 90’s.  It’s not unheard of for Mariella to sat at 91 or 92, and she’s OK…but along with her other symptoms, the docs wanted to make sure she wasn’t dropping and staying down.  Once they determined that she wasn’t staying low…that she was dropping and coming back up, they let us go home.

HOWEVER, it would be too easy if that was the end of it, wouldn’t.  She is still coughing rather steadily.  Not much break between spasms….and her spasms are lasting a couple of minutes each.  She’s exhausted from being up all night, she exhausted from coughing…I’M exhausted too…and we’ve got a really full weekend.  It’s going to be an early night.

SO, right now, she’s on all her regular meds, along with the prednisone burst, and q4 nebs, by the clock.  We see Dr. Duda on Thursday, but hopefully, the flare will be totally better…but if not, he’ll be able to fix it.

3 Responses to “Off to the ER we go…..and home again”

  1. 1 kerri April 9, 2011 at 12:59 pm

    I hope this exacerbation clears up quickly with the pred on board. Poor girlie, I just wanna give both of you hugs. I’m glad you’re seeing the doctor later this week to keep monitoring things. Most of all, I’m glad you decided to take her in.

    ❤ Lots of love.

  2. 2 kitkat07 April 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm

    Hope she clears up quickly!! ❤ hope both of you get some rest :).

  3. 3 Melissa April 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm

    Happy Spring? Glad you went with your gut and took her in and that the docs were nice. Hoping she’s feeling much better! I know pred. usually takes a bit to kick in for me too.


Leave a Reply to kerri Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: